A place for me to journal and post pictures about my quilting adventures.

Friday, October 18, 2013

On Eagle’s Wings

I’ve been so busy, today I’m just veg'ing. After our Quilt show I went to the AQS show in Des Moines. I came home on Friday and the following Tuesday I was the substitute speaker at my local quilt guild. 

In order to show quilts that I’ve made, I spent the weekend traveling to my son’s, my stepson’s, my nephew’s and my friends’ homes to pick up quilts I’d made and given them so I could show them at guild. I also did a lot of washing of quilts that weekend. I have allergy problems with pet dander so needed to get rid of it. Also, the first big quilt I made had been vomited on, and my DDIL couldn’t get the smell out. I soaked it overnight in the “Recipe for Stink Removal”, then had to wash it in Synthrapol as the burgundy fabric I used nearly 20 years ago still bleeds. I took 8 laundry baskets of quilts (thank you DH for carrying so much stuff) because I make large quilts for beds.

After Guild was finished and DH was off to Nevada, I started a labor of love. A dear niece had such an awful cancer that she was having radical, radical surgery on the 14th. I thought she should have a comfort quilt.

When we were vacationing in Colorado, I ordered a kit from a vendor at the quilt show we found in Montrose. It finally came, and I couldn’t seem to cut the fabric right to get all the pieces out of the kit. After pulling everything I could out of my stash I still couldn’t come up with a piece of jade marble that matched the panel. I finally found some at our local quilt shop, then some came that I ordered on the net.

I had this idea that the rays coming off the center of the quilt should be filled with messages of hope and comfort, so had another niece post on a private Facebook group to gather them. Was that ever a tear-jerking experience.

I wanted a soft backing, was at Costco and they had wonderful soft fleece-type blankets cheaper than I could buy backing. This was my first major mistake!! This blanket stretched BOTH ways.

I loaded Black Bart, did the math and started with SID and the rays. Every time I laid a ruler on it, it would stretch. After 4 hours I almost stopped and was ready to rip it out, but remembered a class I just took at AQS, and stopped floating the top and pinned the bottom of the top to the roller. It made it much more stable.

I finished all the rays on each advance, then started “writing” in all the messages. Some were Bible verses of comfort. I wrote in 2 verses of “On Eagle’s Wings” as well as the refrain in the center brown border. I knew it wouldn’t lay flat with this backing, so I stopped worrying and just finished it.
2013-10-16 12.00.23
My DDIL and I delivered it to my niece the second day after her 14 hour surgery. When I gave it to her I warned her that is would make us all cry. I cried many a tear quilting it. She loved it, and it’s many messages. Here’s a close up of one spot.
2013-10-16 12.00.35closeup writing
I added hearts when I needed a little fill. I should have quilted them in the empty rays, but it was more important to finish it and deliver it.
2013-10-16 13.52.10
I think it was comforting, but I hope I never have the need to make one of these again.

On to happier quilting!
(Aunt) Becky

2 comments:

Marj said...

I love the quilting of comforting and inspirational words on the quilt! I think I will put some on the next quilts of valor that I quilt. Hope that your Niece is on her way to recovery.

Bonnie said...

Agh, a tear jerker in the morning. It is a lovely quilt and not even knowing your family I'm crying. Beautiful work.