I’m working on the Scrap Squad project, making a comfort quilt for a niece, binding my Glacier Star for the quilt show, setting up the small quilt data base, pricing, and hanging the small quilts for next week, came down with a crappy virus . . . so sometimes you just need to play a little bit.
I bought this set of 2-1/2” squares, the polka dots and the Halloween words in Nebraska. I sewed the squares together one night, cut out the twister pieces the next night, then quilted it the next.
You wind up with a LOT or seam allowances that don’t want to stay flat, so I quilted it in the ditch with some opaline Madeira Thread I bought years ago on my first Paducah AQS trip. I changed to the black with sparkles color of the same thread to outline the words, connecting them with straight lines trying to resemble spider webs.
This pattern works best with lots of contrast between blocks. Using the pre-cuts, I didn’t have much contrast as there are way too many mediums. I was trying to keep the greens away from the edges so they wouldn’t totally disappear. It was fun for a quick sew. DGD#1 is wanting some small quilts, so this may be her Halloween quilt, or I might just hang it here.
I’m making black binding for the Glacier star this week, so will use the leftovers to finish this.