I was sewing along, putting on binding, and kept hearing something bump. I reset the bobbin, and finally looked at the back of the machine. The green thread had fallen over on the power strip, so I set it back some, and sewed some more. It kept bumping, and I finally investigated. While the fly wheel (I think that’s what it’s called) was still on, I was pulling out the thread that was wrapped around until it broke. Then DH popped the cover off the wheel, and I was trying to cut and pull out thread, and it still wasn’t coming out very well. There is a large screw holding the wheel to the drive shaft – or whatever that’s called – and he gingerly tried turning it – it worked – and the wheel came off. This is what it looked like when he took it off. That cone of green thread (Superior Sew Fine) had been nearly full. I usually use that thread on the Black Bart (longarm), but it matched the previous binding. Strong thread - it never broke until I pulled too hard trying to remove it. Moral: Don’t set the thread you just used behind the machine, and then bind a big quilt that goes all over the table, knocking the thread over. What a mess.
At this point is was easy to pull it all out. DH put it back together, and all is well. I just thought you would enjoy this picture. I hope your day is going better than mine!