A place for me to journal and post pictures about my quilting adventures.

Monday, September 26, 2011

Design wall Monday, 9-26-11

Where did September go? I’m sure there must be more of it left somewhere!

Yes, I finished the monster other person’s UFO. I did the binding by sewing the back from the front. I even glued it down, but I’m still not happy with how it turned out. I still had to do a lot of resewing.  I haven’t found a foot for the Bernina that let’s me open the ditch as wide as I would like on the binding. I’ve tried the new ditch attachment for the walking foot, and it didn’t help. If it hadn’t been so large, I would have turned it by hand.

This is as far as  I am on the donation quilt for the Virginia and Truckee Railroad Symposium next week. It only needs a small border – I’m debating between the red and the yellow. The yellow is a subtle tone-on-tone, but the red has trains on it. Every other piece of fabric in it is train fabric, so I’m leaning towards the red. It doesn’t show very much, but each of the railroad crossing blocks have red lights under the white crosses. I’m hoping it is a half yard instead of a fat quarter, but it will have to do.

The sepia images are all in the public domain in black and white. DH Photoshopped them for me. We worked to find a red brown rather than a yellow brown. The color image I took several years ago at the Nevada State Railroad Museum in Carson City at the end of another V & T symposium.  I hope someday to make a series of train quilts.

No other quilty stuff this week – this is enough!

Happy Quilting,

Becky

Monday, September 19, 2011

Design wall Monday 9-19-2011

I’m having an attack of ADD. I have too many projects in process. I kinda like it that way!

IMG_0924

This is the first project. It needs to be finished ASAP as it is supposed to be auctioned Friday. This was a top donated to my SIL’s foundation, Friends’ United. They provide teaching instruction for teachers and supplies for students in Honduras.

This project was a challenge! It started with the backing made out of 3 pieces of the blue fabric. It was sewn together by hand, the shrunken selvages still attached. I sewed them again on my DSM, then trimmed the selvages.  I loaded it, and it was nice and square on Black Bart. Then I started to load the top. It was a very friendly top. The blue border was “gathered” in, and one side was 4” longer than the other side. It had cornerstones that had a cut out corner for the white border. I ended up removing all 4 blue borders and the cornerstones, measuring them by the center of the quilt, then reapplied them. There was enough length that I used just straight cornerstones – no cut-outs needed. I quilted it with Circle Lord Spirals as the quilting is only about 1” apart, and this quilt was made by hand, with small seam allowances. I wanted a LOT of quilting. I still have to bind it, but I think I can now finish it in time.

IMG_0927

I finished up this block, except for the center. It will be part of a “garden” quilt made with real 30’s dresden plate blocks, and other circles. I bought the templates for this from Material Obsession in AU, and just had to try them. This top isn’t too high on the finish list.

I still have the blocks on the right on the wall. I really need to put them together and finish that quilt up. It needs to be done by Christmas.

IMG_0929

These are the cut-out colored parts of a Hole in the Barn Door top. I did buy some white on white to finish them as I had none. This project was cut when I was cutting the blocks for my friend’s quilt. I’m remaking a pink quilt my grandma made me – same pattern. She used “used” white in it, and it wore out very quickly. I need to find some more pinks as I’m only making one block out of each fabric, and all read pink – even the ones with the black backgrounds have a lot of pink.

IMG_0930

I had a shoebox of these 1-1/2” strips that I cleaned out of a friend’s scraps. I’ve loved Mary’s (of Maryquilts.com) spiderweb and had to try it. This is the trial block, and I decided the yellow didn’t read light, so for the rest of the blocks I used the yellow as a dark, alternating with the lights. I made 20 blocks, and double pinwheel cornerstones. It’s ready to sash and put it IMG_0934

 

 

 

 

together.

 

 

I’m using these blocks as leader-enders. They were cut with the pink blocks still on the wall.

The last thing is these pictures on fabric of trains on the Virginia and Truckee Railroad, the V&T. They need items for auction at the seminar in two weeks (ugh!), so I plan to make a wall hanging out of them. I’ll probably be binding it on the plane.

So, this is what is on my design wall, Black Bart, the tables, etc. By the way, I can’t seem to change what Blogger is doing with the photos.

Happy quilting,

Becky