UFO’s for Judy’s Challenge

  1. Lone Star IMG_0020(large wall hanging)

I’ve started this one in Oct with a class at Des Moines AQS – Jan Krentz. I have one large diamond made, which I can’t find today, but it is pinned to a portable ironing surface, so I’m sure I will find it when the number comes up. This is wall hanging (large) size. It was a wonderful class. I’m looking forward to working on this one because the technique she taught us was so cool. I bought the DVD so I could refresh my mind (it will need it) when I start working on it again.

2. First ever blocks (queen)

IMG_0015

In the 70’s I decided I wanted to make a quilt like my grandmother did. I made several Sun Bonnet Sues, but then decided I could applique some regular blocks. The only book I had was one by Ickles (?) so I drew out the blocks, then made them, figuring things out as I went. The fabric of the times was poly cotton, so these are appliqued on poly/cotton squares, with poly prints. Never again!

A few years ago I decided to finish this quilt, and finally decided on the single Irish Chain blocks as setting squares. After I made the blocks (they kept shrinking from the hot iron on the poly) and put them on the design wall, I figured out sashing (it’s made), and border blocks. I didn’t quilt finish the border blocks, then it had to come down from the design wall because Christmas was coming and I needed to finish up another quilt for a gift (common excuse for UFOs).

3. Timberline log cabin (king)

IMG_0026

Final Opp Quilt

In 2009 I was responsible for the opportunity quilt of our guild. After it was made, I bought lots of raffle tickets, but still didn’t win it. I need to make one for myself. It is a Judy Martin pattern, and the logs finish to 7/8th inch. I have some left over scraps, and bought enough fabric in the same colors to make one for myself. I thought I would up the log size to 1-1/4th inch, but then I couldn’t use up the scraps. When this number is drawn, I doubt that I can finish it in one month, so it may take over the next number.

4.Blue Winding Ways (king)IMG_0016

When I was cutting the braid quilt for a class with Bonnie Hunter, I was using fat quarters, so I also cut out a blue winding ways. That’s as far as this project is on it’s way to completion. Because of its size, it may also take longer than a month.

 

 

 

 

5. Karen Stone’s BeachyIMG_0011

Before I was married (about 5 years ago) 3 of us decided we were making Beachy. We shared our wild batiks, learned a lot about different satin type stitches our machines would use, used a LOT of Steam a Seam II, and made all the blocks for this quilt. They are supposed to be joined with a combination of the wave pieces and 4 patches. With all the fusible and stitching, my blocks were no longer the size they needed to be, so I needed to trim all the sashing and border pieces – NOT! I put it away. . . .

That’s enough for this posting. I’ll do another with the other 6 (I know, I just couldn’t pick just twelve).

Happy Quilting, Becky

Comments

Mary said…
You make BIG Quilts. Good luck with the UFO Challenge. I'll be watching your progress.
CARMEN said…
Hello
I really like your art and your blog, Me,.. not blogging much, FB has me captive.
hope to blog and quilt more in 2011
Carmen

Popular posts from this blog

Help with Layout , please

A Christmas wall hanging

Glacier Star with extension, or 488 geese later. . . .