UFO’s for Judy’s Challenge
I’ve started this one in Oct with a class at Des Moines AQS – Jan Krentz. I have one large diamond made, which I can’t find today, but it is pinned to a portable ironing surface, so I’m sure I will find it when the number comes up. This is wall hanging (large) size. It was a wonderful class. I’m looking forward to working on this one because the technique she taught us was so cool. I bought the DVD so I could refresh my mind (it will need it) when I start working on it again.
2. First ever blocks (queen)
In the 70’s I decided I wanted to make a quilt like my grandmother did. I made several Sun Bonnet Sues, but then decided I could applique some regular blocks. The only book I had was one by Ickles (?) so I drew out the blocks, then made them, figuring things out as I went. The fabric of the times was poly cotton, so these are appliqued on poly/cotton squares, with poly prints. Never again!
A few years ago I decided to finish this quilt, and finally decided on the single Irish Chain blocks as setting squares. After I made the blocks (they kept shrinking from the hot iron on the poly) and put them on the design wall, I figured out sashing (it’s made), and border blocks. I didn’t quilt finish the border blocks, then it had to come down from the design wall because Christmas was coming and I needed to finish up another quilt for a gift (common excuse for UFOs).
3. Timberline log cabin (king)
In 2009 I was responsible for the opportunity quilt of our guild. After it was made, I bought lots of raffle tickets, but still didn’t win it. I need to make one for myself. It is a Judy Martin pattern, and the logs finish to 7/8th inch. I have some left over scraps, and bought enough fabric in the same colors to make one for myself. I thought I would up the log size to 1-1/4th inch, but then I couldn’t use up the scraps. When this number is drawn, I doubt that I can finish it in one month, so it may take over the next number.
4.Blue Winding Ways (king)
When I was cutting the braid quilt for a class with Bonnie Hunter, I was using fat quarters, so I also cut out a blue winding ways. That’s as far as this project is on it’s way to completion. Because of its size, it may also take longer than a month.
Before I was married (about 5 years ago) 3 of us decided we were making Beachy. We shared our wild batiks, learned a lot about different satin type stitches our machines would use, used a LOT of Steam a Seam II, and made all the blocks for this quilt. They are supposed to be joined with a combination of the wave pieces and 4 patches. With all the fusible and stitching, my blocks were no longer the size they needed to be, so I needed to trim all the sashing and border pieces – NOT! I put it away. . . .
That’s enough for this posting. I’ll do another with the other 6 (I know, I just couldn’t pick just twelve).
Happy Quilting, Becky