A place for me to journal and post pictures about my quilting adventures.

Sunday, November 21, 2010

Design wall Monday 11/22/2010

I decided today to take pictures of all the projects on the design walls - DH said design table was not "proper" so I put them all up on the board. The above picture is of the bright blocks from the guild. I've finished "twisting" them - first in black to even up the sizes, then the brights I picked last week. The black and white strip between (actually over) the space between the first and second columns is auditioning as a thin edging for the blocks, which I will probably make as triple sashing and cornerstones. The crayon fabric will be the center of the triple sashing. I enjoy making blocks, but assembly is not my favorite. I'm really working at just finishing up this top so I can say it is done (I don't have to quilt it).
This second picture is of some blocks I made while taking Bonnie Hunter's Cathedral Star workshop earlier this year. This is all the blocks that are assembled, but I have lots of progress on the component parts. I was doing them as leader / enders until I changed to dark thread to make the bright blocks above.

These blocks are on the design wall across from me, behind Black Bart. They were leftovers of another flimsy that I cut stack and whack style. I made the last 5 blocks as rewards to myself for completing quilting the last two projects. They aren't sewn together yet, and I was auditioning the navy for a wide border. I want to finish these up so I can practice making large circles with the Circle Lord. Just for fun, these were cut as matching blocks. I've put them up on the wall with the mustard block next to the matching navy blocks. No one will probably care but me, but I like to put a touch of unexpected in my quilts.
At the bottom of the main design wall are the Halloween blocks my friend JoAnne embroidered for me. I'm thinking about how to set them. They might look good twisted with orange, black, and gold Halloween fabric. She is such an artist. While the embroidery is excellent in its own right, she has also shaded in the various items in the blocks - the pumpkins, hat, house, etc. This quilt will stay with me - no DGC will appreciate all this artistry.

At the very bottom of the design wall are the "blocks" my DGD#2 makes while we are in the sewing room - and she sometimes slips in when I'm not there. She has permission to use scraps from one bin, and is learning to cut with scissors, and then paste them on construction paper. She found some stickers that she especially likes that she included as well. Last week she spread purple glue over part of the design wall, which mostly washed off. That's better than green and yellow watercolor paint that DGS painted on my design wall in my other house.

Sorry about the long post, but I also use this as a journal of my projects.
Happy Quilting, Becky

Sunday, November 14, 2010

Design Wall Monday 11/15/10

This is what is on my design table today. They are blocks made by various guild members from the patterns that were distributed at last year's quilt show. That was the last one KC guild will have at Crown Center. We had patterns for blocks that people could collect from the participating shops. In the past then these patterns were made into blocks, and then assembled in a quilt that served as a door prize as visitors filled out slips to be drawn at the end of the show. I was asked to assemble the quilt for this year's show.
As expected, the blocks that are supposed to be 8-1/2" unfinished range from 7-3/4" to 9-1/2". I pulled out my well used copy of Sharon Craig's Setting Solutions, and decided that the quickest way to fix these was to do a double or triple twist. I liked the look of some of the other ideas, but I don't get to keep this quilt, so quick, but still good looking, won out. Remember, I have a personal challenge to make 50 quilts from stash before I buy fabric, so these fabrics all came from my stash. I wondered if the crayon fabric was too "juvenile", but it was the right colors and in my stash, so it won.
I also finished quilting a "use up all the flannel" large lap quilt. I tried quilting each strip with a different freehand pattern. I was even brave enough to try Dawn's fungly feathers and dwirling, as well as leaves, vines, zigzags, etc. I still have a long way to go.
I pieced the back for it - more use it up- and it loaded better than I thought it would. No tucks, so I guess it worked. I used Bonnie's (Quiltville) 10" blocks, but off-set them so I didn't have 4 corners meeting with the bulk of the flannel. There was one time after I loaded it that I thought a back seam was showing through, but after I quilted it I couldn't find it. I used Hobbs 80/20 batting, so this quilt is a bit heavy. I did buy a small bolt of all poly batt at the Lee's Summit Guild Quilt Show, but this quilt will probably be washed to death, and I think the blend will hold up better.

I still have no finishes on my personal challenge, but 2 quilts waiting for binding, and the binding is made.

Happy Quilting, Becky

Tuesday, November 9, 2010