A place for me to journal and post pictures about my quilting adventures.

Monday, July 18, 2011

Finishing another’s UFOs–the Owls

There was a request on HeartStrings yahoo group quite a while back for someone to finish up some blocks left after a member’s mother had died. The member felt unable to work on them, as they were the last blocks her mother had made prior to going blind, and then dying. The request was unusual, as they were described as already having batting quilted on them. I thought they were “quilt-as-you-go” blocks, and volunteered to tackle this project.

IMG_0185

This is the way the box arrived. I laid the blocks out, and each owl was quilted to just batting – no backing. There was a new sheet enclosed to use as backing. My first thought was to just cut off the batting, but then I took time to examine the blocks. Each of the twelve owls were different, and each was quilted in a different pattern. I just couldn’t willy-nilly go at them and destroy that work. They went back in the box for a long time as I thought about what to do with them.

 

IMG_0186IMG_0187IMG_0191IMG_0192

The above is how I finally decided to treat each block. They were on this poly batting, quilted, and satin-stitched through the batting. I found the common denominator of the largest block I could make and squared up all the blocks, preserving the quilting.

IMG_0193

There were strips enclosed with the blocks. The diamond strips were actually attached as sashing to one block, but with all the bias, I didn’t feel comfortable with my ability to use it for sashing. I trimmed up the plain strips (that had been sewn together) and used them for sashing and cornerstones.  I used the bias diamonds for the binding.

I loaded the top, with an additional thin Mountain Mist polyester batting, on a backing made from fabric in my stash. I don’t have any experience with using sheets for backing, and this top was quite delicate (most of the fabric was cotton/poly blend). Some of the satin stitching on the blocks did not quite cover all the edges, so I treated a lot of edges with Fray something – the kind that doesn’t get hard and prickly.

IMGP2960

This is the finished result. I quilted each owl, and some inside each owl, trying to re-enforce the weak areas where I had applied the fray product. I echoed some of the hand quilting, and then wave-quilted the sashings. You can see the scrappy binding from the diamonds.

The HeartStrings member who sent the quilt asked that it be donated in her mother’s honor. I had taken the quilt to my small Tuesday group to work on the binding. Sitting next to me was a member we hadn’t seen for a long time – she had gone through having to move with her husband to assisted living, and then him into a nursing home, coping with his dementia until he passed on.  She loved the quilt, and its story, and I thought she would be a perfect recipient for this quilt. She brought it back the next meeting at my house, where I took this picture.

I hope the maker and her daughter are happy to know it is finished, and loved. It was a labor of love for me.

Becky in Kansas City, Missouri, USA (Becky in KCMO)

Design wall Monday July 18, 2011

IMG_0686IMG_0689IMG_0688IMG_0687

I’m creating monsters at my house. Every time I go to the quilt room, someone comes along and wants to make her own quilt. The 6-year-old DGD asked me if she was old enough to learn how to sew – Yep, it’s time. The one in the picture is 4 – almost 5 – and she found a baggie of HSTs, and decided that they needed to go in this quilt!

This is the quilt I planned on making “modern style” – just surrounded squares with a small bit of sashing. BORING! Bonnie S left a comment that the star really helped this quilt, then I got carried away. I found a circle cutter that I didn’t remember, then watched a video on how to use it, and just had to try it.  I love the one with the coke bottle in a 4 patch, and stars in circles. Then the zebra, elephant, cats  - okay, then let’s fracture a few blocks. I have the book Thinking outside the block on the table beside me, and just have to try a little bit. The clarinet didn’t stand out in a regular square, so that’s the first one I tried fracturing. Then I decided just using squares, triangles, circles and diamonds was boring, so I fussy-cut some Dresden plate clarinets, etc. The most important thing is I’m having FUN  in the quilting room, and I was afraid that was never going to happen again.

I hope you are having a fun day for yourself. I’m off to see Harry Potter……  See more design walls at Judy Ls.

Happy Quilting,

Becky

Monday, July 4, 2011

Design wall Monday 7/4/2011

Happy Independence day for those of us in the USA.  I had a delightful time yesterday out at my son’s with the huge amount of family and friends, as well as a side trip to have supper with DH’s train friends. A wonderful day!

This is my design wall today. These are happy blocks for my BFF’s DIL’s quilt. Ginny came over to cut out the “pictures” from the fabrics she collected that she wants in the quilt – for example, the clarinet from the instrument fabric. Then I build it into a block. At first I was just going to border them all with the straight border, but that was boring, so I had to fuss with them a bit. It isn’t possible for me to make a quilt without at least one star in it. There is a LeMoyne stack and whack star waiting for a small border to put in here as well as the Sawtooth stars. I’ll probably manage a few 54-40 or Fight type stars as well.

Enjoy more design walls over at Judy’s blog.

Happy Quilting,

Becky