Showing posts from December, 2009

Design wall Monday, 12/13/ 2009

The design walls are mainly empty this week. Everything is past the design wall stage except the flash frame. One quilt is completely finished, another has binding on one side, but will have to be hand-sewn on the other. The Cabin in the Woods is being prepared to use Judy L's method of sewing the back from the front, and borders are going on the "Ugly Fabric Sampler". The secret project is down the street, ready to go on the quilting frame. I'm trying to finish everything by the 15th, except bindings, and I will be cutting it close. I don't mind working on them later, I just have a lot of Dr appointments and go off arthritis meds that day. I'm really liking how the quilts are turning out. I will post better pictures when DH has time to help hang them and photograph them.
Happy Quilting,
Email me

using up flannel - NOT

A while ago, I decided to use up all my flannel. I made the Big star quilt out of flannel, and used up all of the left-overs in the Cabin in the Woods. I do have a panel of houses that is flannel, and a bit of flannel to finish that with, but other than that, it was all gone. I even had cut out a flannel rag blanket out of baby fabric, and given it to MM to make.
Yesterday I was quilting down at my friend's and she had decided to take care of her little "piles" of stuff. She decided she should look at the pile of flannels. She found one with a note (directions) on a piece, it was dated 2001. She decided it was time to get rid of that stack, then decided to get rid of the whole thing! She put it all in two bags and gave it to me - even carried it to my car. I think I need to have another kid sew-in and everyone needs to make rag quilts! I certainly have plenty of batting scraps they can use up. Hmmm, I wonder if I'll feel up to it for Martin Luther King Day. …

Design wall Monday 12/7/09

What was I thinking last week? Where was my mind? I thought I could finish a Judy Martin pattern quicker than I could make Judy L's Freeze Frame??? The photo on the left is of the now UFO pieces for Celebration. I finished all the strip sets, and 200 of the 300 4 patches, but finally said Whoa! Too much!! I started Freeze frame on Saturday, worked a little bit on Sunday, I just need to make about 30 more border blocks, and then put all the borders on. I'm making a few extra blocks so I can put in wider center borders and outer borders to make the quilt a little bigger.

I did make it down the street to the quilting machine yesterday. I quilted this quick Stashbuster quilt made for DGD#2. Her mother (DD) said she needed a soft, easy to wash "blanket" for her big bed. This one is from fabric left over from DD's wedding quilt, and all the "ladybug" fabric used in DGDs room. I backed it with very soft Minkee, and used a very thin batting inside. …