A place for me to journal and post pictures about my quilting adventures.

Sunday, February 5, 2012

The last of my quilting marathon of charity quilts

These are the last two strippy charity quilts for my January quilting marathon. The one on the right I had to redo every seam, then I added the borders. The small one on the left was good! Only the second one of the bunch that was ready to quilt as is. I had some Connecting Threads black and white fabric that made my eyes swirl and gave me a bit of vertigo that I knew I couldn’t use in large amounts. It worked well for the binding on these, and it used up most of that piece of fabric. I loved the mainly white fabric in the small one, it says moo, moo, all over it. I used red Sew Fine thread on these, and the Circle Lord Cosmos panto boards for the pattern. I thought about trying free motion, but since it was January 31st when I quilted these I thought done was a better choice. I used a Hobbs organic cotton batting that has been around a while, and these turned out very flat. They are in the wash now, and will hopefully plump up a bit. I don’t think I’ll try anymore of that batting. It was some donated batting, and I’m glad it’s gone.

I’m going to a guild retreat the last weekend of the month, and I want to work on my Judy Niemeyer star quilt there. I need to finish cutting out the extension part that turns the wall hanging into a queen size, so that’s the next project. I’m also taking my 3/8” hexagons to work on the center of the Susannah Howard quilt. I can work on those and talk, so it’s a good take along project.

Happy Quilting,

Becky

5 comments:

Connie said...

Your quilts look great, love the way the red sets them off! I know what you mean about some fabrics that can drive you crazy to work on!

Cherie in St Louis said...

I so know what you mean about certain fabrics that make your head swim when you see large blocks of it! Binding is a perfect use of it :) These are terrific charity quilts.....lot's of pop!

Bonnie said...

Done is great. And, these are for charity -- extra stars across your forehead! LOL. I definitely need projects that I can sew and talk at the same time at retreats. I enjoy them but I don't always get a lot done. Sigh.

Dar said...

I love your charity quilts. What size are they after adding borders? They will make someone very happy.

Mary said...

Great color combinations. I don't add borders to mine but then I always use kiddie fabrics so the size works for me.