Showing posts from January, 2012


I was sewing along, putting on binding, and kept hearing something bump. I reset the bobbin, and finally looked at the back of the machine. The green thread had fallen over on the power strip, so I set it back some, and sewed some more. It kept bumping, and I finally investigated. While the fly wheel (I think that’s what it’s called) was still on, I was pulling out the thread that was wrapped around until it broke. Then DH popped the cover off the wheel, and I was trying to cut and pull out thread, and it still wasn’t coming out very well. There is a large screw holding the wheel to the drive shaft – or whatever that’s called – and he gingerly tried  turning it – it worked – and the wheel came off. This is what it looked like when he took it off. That cone of green thread (Superior Sew Fine) had been nearly full. I usually use that thread on the Black Bart (longarm), but it matched the previous binding. Strong thread - it never broke until I  pulled too hard trying to remove it. Moral…

Design wall (machine) Monday–1-29-12

These are part of what I’ve done this week. The “Shirts and Pants” quilt that I bordered, and a Strippy with Diego are finished. My DGD#2 was here all week (sick) and she told me that Diego was definitely a boy quilt, not a girl quilt. I have a love affair with spiral quilting. I did it on all three of these. I was going to do a pantograph on the bottom one, but after I started I didn’t like it so ripped it out and used the spirals. This bottom quilt was one of the 42 x 72 strippys that I decided to add borders to bring it out to a better size. There really is light brown and green in the main print. I had a hard time coming up with border fabric for it out of my stash. I hope to trim and bind it later today.I have 2 more tops ready to load on Black Bart. They are fun ones – red, black, and white. I resewed seams and added borders to one, the other only needed pressing as I will leave it kid size. I have one more that I pulled to work on. It needs all the seams resewn and then a borde…

Design machine Monday 1-23-12

Last year I offered to quilt some tops that were donated after the tsunami. Then shoulder stuff happened, then other things. To make a long story short, I’ve now started on them. I had expected tops ready for quilting, but since I don’t quilt for others, I guess I don’t have an appreciation for how some toppers prepare their quilts. I’ve done quite a bit of work on the few tops I’ve worked with, some of work at my own choosing.I quilted some Heartstrings tops last, and sent them to Las Vegas for the VA hospital. Since I think they are still short, I was looking at this box of tops to see if I could add borders to some to make them large enough for VA needs. (I figure the Japanese quilters have taken care of the tsunami victims by now.)  I had navy fabric that worked with the first top, and there weren’t but a few tiny flowers in the strippy parts, so I added borders to it. The second top was obviously of kid fabrics, so I left it as is. It was the only one in the box that was nicely t…

Linda said . . .

Linda said I needed to update my blog. Okay, but there’s not a lot to say.This is the recipient with the two quilts I made for my friend. I made the little quilt for her DGD who is one day younger than my youngest. Her quilt is reversible.These are the two tops from a Heartstrings member that I finally quilted with swirls. They are now complete, and may have arrived in Las Vegas where they are part of the 300 needed for the opening of a VA hospital there. We can’t forget the vets. They have given so much for us.I have some other donated tops on Black Bart now for quilting.My big project right now is the finish work on the cabinets DH made to go above the computer desk we made last year. These are upper cabinets for me to store more of my office-type stuff in. I don’t actually have a desk except for the computer one, so I need more shelves to put stuff on. I’m still working on the Judy Niemeyer star as well.Happy Quilting,Becky