A place for me to journal and post pictures about my quilting adventures.

Thursday, October 28, 2010

50 quilts from stash before buying any fabric

Oh, my, I've done it now. Over on the Stashbuster Yahoo Group I posted a personal challenge to finish 50 quilts from my stash without buying any fabric except WOW for backgrounds. I'm even NOT buying backings, but using up all I have, then piecing the rest! Now others want to join in!!


It all started with a discussion with DH about how I thought I could make 500 quilts from the fabric in the house. I thought that was too high a number for a goal, so brought it down to 50. I have a database in Excel that I use to track UFO's, and I listed 34 that needed finishing, so I think I can do both - finish UFO's and work on WHIMMs (works hidden in my mind). The finished quilts can be any size, from doll (or miniature) size, on up to HUGE.


When I have more time, I'll figure out how to set up a Mr Linky so others can report finishes as well, or some other way for others to report their numbers.


There's no time limit, I just can't buy anymore fabric until 50 quilts are finished. I plan to include charity quilts in that number, as they take up fabric. I'm starting today, although my first finish won't occur for a few days.


Good luck if you are joining in - please leave a comment so we know you're with us!


Happy Quilting, Becky

Monday, October 25, 2010

Design wall Monday 10/25/10

Don't faint that I am finally posting a blog update. I haven't been sewing very much - babysitting, sick, yard, etc. You know the drill. I did have a finish. Above is the Drunkard's Path quilt that a now deceased quilter left as a UFO. I don't know the lady; 4 UFOs came my way via my SIL. The quilter must have had time to put things in "dying order" as all the parts are together with little index cards with her plans on them. These drunkard's path blocks were with muslin squares that would have made an every other square setting. The problem I found was that the muslin was cut to what the block was supposed to measure, not what it did measure. She had sewn one set together, and the pieced block was gathered to fit the muslin. I decided to just set the pieced blocks together, and actually pieced it together by hand! I haven't done that in a while. The top sat languishing until a call from DSIL asking if I had one UFO finished for the the Charity auction, so I busily sewed on a triple border and quilted it on Black Bart with the CL spirals.
This second quilt has been a top for a long time. We just purchased a Circle Lord sunburst template for Black Bart. It was the first time I had used the frame since I purchased Black Bart (new Nolting table). It worked so well. What an improvement in the table. This quilt looks good from this distance but I have some backtracking issues, so no close-ups. CL is working on a frame that can be used from the front of the machine, and that would certainly make doing this type of quilting easier. I do love the effect. This one is awaiting binding.
This last one is the design wall special. This came from donated Chinese Coins (HeartStrings). My DFF called it an ugly quilt until I sashed it, now she is suggesting I donate to a church here in Blue Springs for their fund-raising event. I still need to add borders, then this will be a very large queen, or a king if they don't have too thick of mattress.


As you can tell, I found my camera - buried on the cutting table. I really need to work more systematically so I don't pull WHIMMs and stack them on the cutting table.
Happy Quilting, Becky