what's on my design wall 6/24/09


These first graphics are on my design wall in EQ6. They are possible settings for the Stashbuster Sunshine (Ugly fabric) Challenge. It needs to be a king-size, as I'll be giving it as a gift for Christmas. The left center will be faster, but uses more blocks, and only 12" ones. The right one uses less 12"blocks, but lots of 6" blocks, and more borders. I really like feathered stars, but they do take more time to make. The real block I would make is the one from a Marti Michell pattern - used as a block of the month a while back. Below is my progress on blocks for this quilt; I only made 6" blocks this week.
After my new glasses arrived this week (Hurray!), I was able to start on the quilt below. It is made out of mainly brushed cotton, but some real flannel. It is a King-size, so I think I will need to find a wool batting, or they won't be able to turn over under it. We visit these friends in Idaho nearly every year, and Chris has been hinting for a quilt since they moved up there from California after their wedding, which we attended. Chris rarely travels (although they did come for our wedding 3 years ago), and my DH kept putting him off, telling him that quilts have to be picked up in person. Chris has always wanted a buffalo farm, so they have used that theme in some of their home decor. They live in what was a ski "cabin" up in the mountains around Coeur d'Alene. They've emailed pictures of moose crossing their yard. There isn't much fabric out there with both buffalo and moose, so fussy cutting of this one fabric has to do. There are now some batiks out there with buffalo, but I didn't think flannel and batik would be a good combination.
When I was cutting this, I was really glad I could make flying geese without any shortcuts. I can't imagine working with 32" squares of fabric on the diagonal. What's on the wall will be 64" square, then there is an 8" plain border, a border of 16" Sawtooth stars like the corner blocks above, then one more outer plain border. I'm just planning on a plain cotton backing, for weight control, but I do have some extra starpoints cut, Hmmm...
Happy Quilting,

Comments

marilyn said…
I admire anyone who can make a king size quilt. And you are working on two at the same time! You go girl!
Bonnie said…
That is one giant quilt! I'm out of the big quilt business for a while. Lap size and an occasional twin size. Your eq drawings are great. Did you take classes on EQ to get so proficient? I bought the EQ6 this spring. I use it to design the bom for my guild but the blocks are ridiculously easy. I think I'll finish up the tutorial and then maybe try the lessons at Quilt University.com. Keep working on these quilts. (moved from California to Idaho???? Yikes!) B.
JuJu said…
Love the quilts!! Even better that you have new glasses. How is DH doing? Do you like EQ6 better than 5? I bought EQ4, then upgraded to 5, have been doing a little in EQ5 for the Legion Riders quilt design, debated about upgrading to 6. Was wondering if EQ6 is worth the money?
Teaquilts said…
Your blocks are beautiful so either setting is okay with me.
Nann said…
You've been diligent in following the Sunshine project! The results are really great. Will you tell the recipient that the quilt is made from "ugly" fabric?!

Popular posts from this blog

Help with Layout , please

A Christmas wall hanging

Glacier Star with extension, or 488 geese later. . . .